Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Greetings from Japan!

Hi, call me Nekohakase. I'm the kitchen witch sister in Japan.
I have less experience in the kitchen than my more epicureanly talented sister, but my specialty is Hungarian food, and I'm good at presentation and variation as opposed to originality! I also have training in bread making and sweets - cooking school was a hobby of mine for a couple years.

Living abroad does limit me sometimes in the kitchen in certain ways - there are certain ingredients I need to make from scratch (like frosting - they don't sell canned frosting in Japan!) and certain kinds of cheese and meat that are simply not available at all (I simply can't find pepperoni! Would you believe that??).

But on the other hand, I have access to other ingredients that are less available in other places, like fresh mirin, raw wasabi and Japanese rice, and a fresher selection of fish and other exotic vegetables like goya and daikon.

I'll try to handle recipes using the metric system, and with substitutes where necessary, and will use no brand names.

I pledge to post one recipe, with pictures (good or bad!) per week on this blog! Circumstances permitting, of course.

2 comments:

Kitchen Witch Sisters said...

Maybe then we will have to make a pepperoni one day? Ambitious! Do you have a meat grinder? I have one as an attachment to my stand mixer (greatest kitchen tool EVER!).

-Avanator

Nekohakase said...

I will put a meat grinder on my list of "things to get." Ah, how I miss a spicy pepperoni!!

Post a Comment