Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Feasting in California!


Hi!  I am Avanator, the Californian witch sister.  I live in the beautiful Santa Cruz Mountains amongst so much amazing local produce as well as premier wineries.  I have loved cooking ever since I can remember, making batches of various Hungarian treats or lemon bread.  Now I see it as a challenge, to follow a recipe or rather your palate to create the Ultimate homemade dish.   
 
Due to far too many hours spent with foodie magazines, food shows/videos, and a gigantic library of cookbooks, I have a fairly decent knowledge of the culinary arts without any formal training.  However, I live in one of the most expensive regions in USA on a student's salary, and thus have a box-sized kitchen.  This makes gourmet cooking slightly more challenging.  I can easily find most ingredients here thanks to the odd health food stores in Santa Cruz and the Asian markets in Silicon Valley.  Santa Cruz is along the Pacific Ocean in the Central Coast, and we have a lot of fresh fish/seafood, but nothing like Nekohakase has in Japan!

I will also do my best to post once a week with photos as long as I can remember to keep my camera battery charged.  I may on occasion use a brand name/store name, but only where I feel it is important to give recognition to a rare/amazing or super-local product.  Hope you enjoy reading!!

1 comments:

Nekohakase said...

Ah, how I miss the wine! They have good stuff here, but most of it is imported. They say wine changes while it's shipped - something about the temperature change. So local is always better.

Post a Comment