Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fennel Coconut Curry



I had to finish off what I had in the fridge, and it was AMAZING!  I've been sick with a cold so I've been eating a lot of soups & curries.  Awful to be sick in the summer! 

2 TB olive or canola oil
3 shallots, finely sliced
3 small carrots, peeled, cut into ~1cm pieces
3 cloves garlic, sliced thin
3 slices fresh ginger or 1TB ginger powder
1 serrano pepper
1/2 TB fish sauce
1/2 TB chicken stock powder2 TB honey
2 lg tomatoes, organic & over-ripe (if possible), roughly chopped
1/3 small fennel thin sliced, fronds reserved
2 portabella caps, roughly chopped
~1 c. broccoli
1 can coconut milk, NOT LIGHT!
few kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced

cook shallots in oil on med-low heat, until translucent ~2 min
add carrot, cook ~3 min
add garlic, serrano, fish sauce & chicken stock, cook another 30 sec
add honey, tomatoes, fennel, & mushrooms.  cook med ~10-20 min, until vegetables cook thoroughly.
add broccoli & 1/2 kjaffir leaves, cook ~2 min

add coconut milk, turn off heat.  season with salt & pepper to taste (if necessary)
serve  w/ rice & garnish with fennel fronds & rest of kaffir

Notes:
- I know the carrot & broccoli are added at odd times, but this is my prefeernece for how I like these two vegetables.  I hate crunchy carrot & also hate over-done broccoli. Adjust your your own preference!
- The fennel might seem odd but it turned out beautiful!
- I add coconut milk belongs at the end.  It can turn kind of oily textured when boiled.  Don't use the light stuff - it is just diluted.
- Kaffir lime leaf can be sliced easily with scissors.  I bought a plant so I can have leaves whenever I like!

4 comments:

Nekohakase said...

Yum! I am SO trying that tonight!! Looks really good!

How do you make the rice next to it?

ava said...

Ha ha I cheated with the rice. I bought frozen rice mix, whole grain. I love frozen rice. I know, I'd likely be flogged with noodles in Japan for saying such, but it's surprising how well it freezes considering it doesn't fridge at ALL.

ava said...

OOoh and I forgot! I also added 2 TB red miso. It allowed me to skip the salt!

Nekohakase said...

Ya know... I just went to the grocery store, and could not find frozen rice. I don't think it exists here.
But what we do have are these pre-cooked rice packs - they're stored at room temperature, but all you have to do is pop them in the microwave and they're as good as gold. They might even be available at your asian foods store.

Post a Comment